Friday, January 14, 2011

Golden Lentil Soup

I made this tonight January 17, 2011.  I loved the Tibetan curried lentils so much I was not sure this dish would top the other.  Well, they are both absolutely delicious and completely different that it is imposible to compare the dishes.  Both boys ate - although it did take a little chocolate encouragement:)  My sister Susan gave me this recipe and her advice was great.  I was heavy with the lemon juice.  I also made half of the recipe and will have lunch for the next few days.  Enjoy - I will be making this again very soon.  I loved how the flavors burst in your mouth and the different flavors appeared throughout the spoonful.


Golden Lentil Stew
This slightly sweet Moroccan chickpea and lentil stew, known as harira, is brightened by spices and lemon.

Ingredients

Serves 6 to 8
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight (I used one can in half the recipe)
  • 8 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought vegetable stock
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped
  • 3 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I used one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes)
  • 1 cup yellow lentils, rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cinnamon stick (I just tossed in a bit of regular cinnamon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 5 ounces orzo or vermicelli, broken into pieces
  • 1/2 cup chopped, pitted dates
  • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus whole leaves for garnish
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 5 minutes. Add chickpeas, stock, and water, and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
  2. Mash garlic, finely chopped cilantro, and salt into a paste. Add garlic paste, celery, tomatoes, lentils, tomato paste, lemon juice, and spices to pot. Simmer until lentils are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
  3. Add pasta and dates, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes. Stir in coarsely chopped cilantro and parsley. Garnish with parsley leaves, and serve with lemon wedges.
From Martha Stewart Living, October 2007

1 comment:

  1. This will be Sunday's recipe. I am excited to use my new dutch oven!!! Thanks Susan for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete